[time-nuts] LORAN-C Programmatic environmental Impact Statement (PEIS)?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Jul 26 06:42:30 EDT 2007

In message <46A8795D.7050507 at samfundet.no>, =?UTF-8?B?TWFnbmUgTcOmaHJl?= writes
:

>I suspect that only when we have an operational Galileo (or a similar system),
>will Norway shut down the 4 stations.

Absent even more irrational politics than usual, we will have a working
LORAN-C system before we have a working Galileo system.

For one thing, the costs involved are truly trivial and second, at least
two "european superpowers" really want a VLF backup for microwave/space
systems.

The main reason why LORAN-C has not been a success in europe is that
europe has not committed to it.  Nobody is going to market receivers
if you cannot trust the signals to be broadcast more than one year
at a time.

UK's long term commitment to the new LORAN-C station is a clear indication
that this lesson is sinking in, finally.