[time-nuts] Time may not exist

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sat Jul 28 04:21:16 EDT 2007

In a message dated 28/07/2007 05:49:07 GMT Daylight Time, bill at iaxs.net
writes:

Before  this subject deteriorates into what trial lawyers and
politicians excel at  (twisting words to obscure the truth),
consider what happens if time does  not exist.

Velocity is distance moved per unit of time, or distance  is
velocity times time. If time does not exist, then nothing  moves.

Reproduction becomes impossible.

Even thought becomes  impossible because neurons fire depending
on the pulse rate at  synapses.

Not to mention communication and other things that are  frequency
sensitive, including light and radiant heat.

And then  there's the matter of Earth rotating in several ways.

Since all of  these things do exist, time exists. It is what goes
on inside the brains of  quantum physicists that leads them to
make rash statements about things  they cannot measure. As I
recall, the derivation of the Planck length  seemed suspect.

--------------------------------------

But does time actually does exist in an absolute sense?

There are intervals between events, that we refer to as "time" or the
"passage of time", and we choose to allocate a unit to this, the "second", just  as
we choose to allocate units to distance and mass.

Distance and mass, however, are a bit more user friendly, in that  generally
there is at least the possibility that a given distance or  mass will remain
obligingly the same for long enough to enable a repeat  measurement, albeit
within certain tolerances.

This doesn't apply to time, nor to anything else once time becomes  involved,
which in itself, of course, makes the above statement extremely  suspect:-)

With time, it's those intervals between events that we seek to measure with
ever increasing precision, and great fun it is too:-), but however
"repetitive"  given events are the "same" event never occurs twice and neither does the
same interval.

This may all seem boringly obvious but, since "time" depends for it's
existence on these patterns of events and the intervals between them, the  question
as to whether time itself really exists as a quantity may turn out  to be not
quite so trivial after all.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR