[time-nuts] HP 5370B low frequency modulation

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sat Jul 28 14:20:08 EDT 2007

> I have made
> numerous shielded opens for network analyzer use by crimping an
> SMA connector
> nut onto a piece of copper semi-rigid shield tube without using any center
> insulator, or center pin.

You can (supposedly) mess up an expensive 3.5mm female connector if you mate
it with a male SMA without a fixed center pin.  Never done this myself but
have read about it.  I have a bad habit of using the 3.5mm-APC7 adapters
from my cal kit for making general SMA connections to the 85046A test set,
and I always wonder if I'm going to mess them up.

> The screw on BNC's that you can get at Radio Shack hardly qualify
> as a connector.

Yep.  You can think of them as random-impedance loads.

-- john, KE5FX