[time-nuts] Galileo funding (bailout)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Jun 9 04:37:42 EDT 2007

From: "Rob Kimberley" <rk at timing-consultants.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Galileo funding (bailout)
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 08:50:21 +0100

> Right from the first announcement of a PPP (Public Private Partnership) to
> fund this project, I queried the wisdom against a freely available GPS
> system. I was ridiculed by quite a lot of people about my "negativity".
>
> We will wait and see....

I think that maybe they have learned that for some projects PPP will not work.
When you build a road you have the toll stations, so there the PPP buissness
model can work. For a broadcasting system it is much more difficult. For TV
systems such as DVB-T each channel is encrypted and on the same carrier several
channels with different keys exist. That works since the information noise of
within each channel is so large that cracking the keys is fairly hard.
A navigation system is much more quiet with new information. It has a very
stable information infrastructure which causes most encryption schemes to be
transparent over time. This is what Shannon taught us. The cracking of GLONASS
military code, GEODE A signal and GPS code-less L1/L2 P-tracking prooves my
point.

A fully public funding of Galileo is the only way to go, and that has been
clear from the start. The civil use must be free and not encumbered by a
licence. There are services for which they can make some money, but that would
still be small change on the operational budget. The real issue is weither they
can agree on committing themselfs to a full Public fundning solution.

Cheers,
Magnus