[time-nuts] another Ebay mixup, 5370

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jun 10 10:18:34 EDT 2007

> My 5370A currently has the following characteristics:
> With the EXT 10MHz connected to the input jitter is 15ps.
> With an FTS1200 5MHz input signal jitter is 46ps.
> With an external GPS locked 10MHz input signal jitter is 45ps.
>
> This illustrates the danger in believing the jitter measured with a
> coherent input signal.
>
> Bruce

To be more precise:

5370A using internal reference - ECL gate oscillator.
Input signal connected to START BNC.
Zin = 50 ohm
START and STOP channels both connected to START BNC.
10,000 samples

Frequency   Amplitude   Source                       +TI jitter -+TI jitter

10MHz         1Vrms      GPS locked OCXO    44ps      24ps

10MHz         0.7Vrms        5370A 10MHz output  14ps    14ps

5MHz            1Vrms         FTS1200                        40ps   41ps

5MHz            0.5Vrms      FTS1200                        57ps   52ps

Bruce