[time-nuts] new paper on Allan Variance errors

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Jun 14 18:41:18 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/14/2007 15:01:12 Pacific Daylight Time,
dforbes at dakotacom.net writes:

>  I get this very thing for all the other professional  societies that have
good
> papers but I am not a member of those. Some  charge horrendous amounts.
Some even
> demand a year's subscription just  to download one paper.

Hi Jeffrey,

IEEE may work for some of us, especially if one doesn't have to pay for
access. There are some drawbacks:

I joined IEEE to get access to all the Timing and Frequency papers, and I
thought I would get access to all their papers - no such luck. Even as  a member
you have to buy the premium package to get access to most of the stuff  -
that's after paying several 100,- $. On top of that you constantly get loads  of
solicitations about all sorts of insurance etc they are pushing.

Lastly, as a permanent resident who went to high-school, and University  here
and waited 23 years for our residency I was shocked to see IEEE write a
whole bunch of xenophobic editorials in EDN magazine etc during the dot-com  bust
talking about why the Government should cut down the H1B visa program  etc and
send the 'visitors' home to preserve the US Engineers' way of life.  Those
same engineers are now running the start-ups in India and China that are  making
our life harder.

I consequently left IEEE; I get better info and help from the members  of
this group anyway's!

bye,
Said