[time-nuts] GPS ant info

Randy Warner randy at geodetics.com
Mon Mar 5 20:43:27 EST 2007

Guys,

The CCAH32ST01 is the P/N for the TNC connector version of the Aromat model
VIC-100 timing antenna. Aromat is owned by Matsushita, who is owned by
Panasonic, etc., etc., etc. Panasonic has decided to put their own name on
things, so the new ones are identified as being Panasonic. You can find a
better datasheet on the US website here:
http://www.pewa.panasonic.com/emp/products/gps_pdf/Panasonic_VIC100_Antenna_
9_06.pdf

Anyway, the VIC-100 is THE timing antenna if you are looking for top
performance. It is the standard antenna for Lucent, Motorola, and everyone
else.

Typical specs:

LNA Gain:   38dB

Bandpass:   -60dB at fo +/- 50MHz

Power:      +5V at approx. 25mA

As you might guess, its main claim to fame is the -60dB filtering. It's
about the only "standard" GPS antenna with three ceramic filters (L1 ceramic
filters as used in GPS antennas are typically good for about -20dB at +/-50
MHz around foo).

When I worked at Synergy these were about $120. If you try to buy one from
Symmetricom it will set you back about $450. By way of comparison, the Moto
Timing2000 (with a dual ceramic filter) is about $65. In short, you have one
of the best timing antennas out there. Hold onto it.

Randy Warner