[time-nuts] Delay through GPS antenna splitter/amplifier -- ananswer, and a question

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Mar 12 13:46:40 EDT 2007

> Funny story however.. Was at NPL on Thursday for our bi-annual Time &
> Frequency Club meeting. There was a small exhibition running and one of the

Rob,

That's a great story. And then this is how I was humbled...

I've had a few people over to my time lab and most are really
impressed. But I was showing an expert mechanical engineer
friend that one could actually calculate the length of a cable
using nano- and picosecond time interval measurements
(drum roll...). So it came to 10 feet and he simply said, holding
the cable up in the air, "well that seems about right", but was
not the least bit impressed that I took two minutes and used
thousands of dollars of weird blinking timing gear to measure
something his experienced eye saw immediately or that a $1
measuring tape could have confirmed...

/tvb
http://www.LeapSecond.com