[time-nuts] HP-58532A antenna

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Fri Mar 16 12:19:45 EDT 2007

Hello everybody,
I have the antenna discussed and actually shown by accelium
on ebay as "GPS ANTENNA HP 58532A L1 LUCENT SYMM...",
in my hands, but mine is labelled underneath as:

DATUM IRVINE
ANTENNA-GPS
P/N 2640NW-D/E Date: 38/00

The gain is (nominal) 26dB, according the label,
(unfortunately I have no Datasheet, and I can not measure
the real characteristics either). I don't see a similarity with the
hp-53532A.

The same Antenna (apparently)  I have in my mind was labelled as
Lucent brand and with 26dB(i) gain as well on same sticker,
P/N KS-24019L112A,  LUCENT-CC 407996859

The housing of the original HP-50532A I have on my
desk has a different housing, another mounting part and other
tech data, eg. the gain is specified to be >30dBi to 38dBi at 90°
I confirm that the VT100 looks to be the same as the
HP-50532A, at least from the outside view, but different from the
Datum/ Irvine antenna. --> these are clearly different antennas!

To complete the confusion
I have seen the antenna Lucent KS-24019L112  (on picture),
but this one is looking different again, my impression is
that the mounting tube could be the same as known from
the HP-antenna. The supply voltage is labelled to be 5-26 VDC,
perhaps having an internal down-regulator (higher pwr need?).
I have no further knowledge of this antenna either.

My additional questions:
I would like to know, what is the difference
of the hp-58504A (has a flat top) compared with these
others, how does this one behave? Is this a low cost version?
Can this antenna be mounted on a car roof?
What antenna would be best for time nut purposes with
about 15 to max 20 m length of RG213/ RG214? Or Is it
perhaps better to keep the signal strength at the rx-input
lower by using a coax cable with higher losses (for not
driving the input-amplifier of the GPS receiver into saturation)?

many thanks in advance,
regards

Arnold, DK2WT