[time-nuts] Question for the cesium nuts.

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Fri Mar 16 18:29:26 EDT 2007

From: "Robert Lutwak" <RLutwak at Comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Question for the cesium nuts.
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:09:43 -0400

Robert,

> There's no reason that you shouldn't see just as many CsIIIs, Cs4000s, and
> 5071s on the used market tomorrow as you see 4040s and 506Xs today, just as
> soon as they trickle down through the same channels as the older units did.

Good point!

> So far, of the modern cesium standards, I've only seen a few 5071s on the
> used market, and they're still priced pretty high, but I'm certain the
> others will trickle down before long.

Most seems to be left-overs from closed labs etc. as far as I have seen.

> Eventually, they'll be dirt cheap, because a new CsIII costs half of what a
> 4040 did when new.  They'll be more accurate, for reasons that you can read
> about in 15 years of FCS proceedings, and they'll be more reliable because
> of 15 years of electronics evolution and manufacturing improvements.

Good points. Very good points. Thanks for pointing it out. Kind of obvious, but
you need to recall the obvious at times.

> Oh, and they'll be more fun, because you'll be able to run Monitor3.  :-)

Indeed. I enjoy doing that. Hmm, which reminds me, I should do something about
setting up a continous logging from my Linux box. Hmm... there is alot of
continous loggings I should be setting up. Time, time... so much to do and so
little time to do it on. Sigh!

Cheers,
Magnus