[time-nuts] Austron Model Differences

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Mar 20 11:08:14 EDT 2007

Jason Rabel wrote:
> I don't know if this has been asked before, I tried to dig through the
> archive (and Google), but I was hoping someone could explain the differences
> in the Austron 2100 receivers...
>
> 2100F, 2100R, 2100T, and maybe other models?

The three 2100s are pretty much the same, but:

2100F (for "f"ront?) does frequency monitoring and has local front panel
control.  GPIB is an option.

2100R (for "r"emote?) is equivalent to the 2100F but has no front panel;
you set the GRI with thumbwheels and it just takes off with no other
operator intervention required.  I think it has GPIB standard to allow
further control.

2100T (but actually, Austron seems to just call it the 2100 without a
suffix) does frequency and timing -- it can generate PPS sync'd to the
LORAN time-of-coincidence with UTC.

The older 2000 receiver does frequency monitoring and requires manual
signal acquisition using a scope.  It's quite a pain to get running, but
a great way to learn about how LORAN works!

John