[time-nuts] HP's typewriter 'n' stuff

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Sat Mar 24 16:22:06 EDT 2007

I was just looking at the old HP clock manuals I rescued from the
obsolete NRAO files. There are a few things of note.

1. HP made a special version of the 113BR clock and the 103AR
oscillator called the H02 version. This provides sidereal time by use
of a 1.00273791 MC crystal.

2. HP used what appears to be an IBM Executive typewriter to write
some of their errata.  They appear to have commissioned a special
typewriter key with the HP logo. It's the old lower-case stylized hp
in a circle. This also shows up in the manuals themselves, but I
think the manuals were typeset due to their high quality. This errata
was clearly produced on a proportional pitch typewriter.

3. Other errata appear to be typed on a non-proportional typewriter.
One has the special HP logo (using two character spaces), the other
substitutes a typed -hp- for the logo.

4. Yes, it was my twin brother's Selectric Typewriter Museum that was
used as the "expert source" in the 2004 Bush memo scandal. All this
typewriter font stuff is blindingly obvious if you look closely at
the characters typed on the page.

--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/