[time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system for RF devices.

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Fri Mar 30 15:25:42 EDT 2007

From: SAIDJACK at aol.com
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system for RF devices.
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:17:09 EDT

Said,

> In a message dated 3/29/2007 21:33:44 Pacific Daylight Time,
> bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz writes:
>
> _http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/physics/pdf/0503/0503015.pdf_
> (http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/physics/pdf/0503/0503015.pdf)
>

> Hi Bruce,
>
> Isn't a -200dBc/Hz floor below the thermal noise floor that can be  achieved?
>
> bye,
> Said

Until I've actually read the paper, ask yourself how our GPS receivers is able
to track signals below their internal noise.

There are a number of tricky aspects involved in doing that and I beleive the
paper goes into those. I have it in print here and will read it as I come back
home.

Cheers,
Magnus