[time-nuts] NTP Synchronised Nixie Tube Clock

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Tue May 8 21:08:32 EDT 2007

At 07:22 PM 5/8/2007, Didier Juges wrote...
>The page uses Javascript to instruct the browser to fetch the document
>
>updated time stamp. It seems like your browser does not handle
>Javascript the way it's intended. The way it's supposed to work: the
>Javascript instructs the browser to fetch the document's time stamp
>and
>render it on the page. The browser is either ignoring the request and
>putting some default value, or it does not fetch it properly and fails
>
>to convert the date to a proper text string.

Actually, it appears to be a misconfiguration of your web site. It is
not returning Last-Modified: to an HTTP/1.1 request. Both a local site
and a different remote site I tested work fine.

On your site, Opera 9.2 always returns January 1, 1970 GMT. IE7 and
Firefox 2.0 always return the current time (the timestamp will change
each time the page is reloaded). IE/Firefox are simply using the Date:
response because the Last-Modified: response is missing.

A manual HTTP get from your site:

>hamburg:/tmp# telnet www.ko4bb.com 80
>Trying 203.22.204.117...
>Connected to ko4bb.com.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>GET /ham_radio/Clock/ HTTP/1.1
>Host: www.ko4bb.com
>
>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 00:47:29 GMT
>Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2623
>Vary: Host
>Connection: close
>Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>
>9cc
><HTML>

The Javascript works fine on a local web site. Manually doing an HTTP
get returns:

Also, a manual get from http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/last-mod.htm :