[time-nuts] 50 vs 75 ohm cables

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Thu May 10 10:31:05 EDT 2007

Sure,

If you factor in all of the ohmic losses, ~70 ohm is the
lowest loss ratio of inner to outer conductor diameters
in an air dielectric coaxial transmission line.

The original 70 ohm line, invented by Western Electric,
was air dielectric with a thin polyethylene disk every foot.

50 ohm comes about when you replace the air, in a 70 ohm cable,
with a polyethylene dielectric.  Why add a polyethylene dielectric?
To gain the better flexibility needed in airplanes and other
mobile equipment.

75 ohms came about when you adjust the inner and outer conductor
diameters to come up with a low loss polyethylene dielectic
cable.

-Chuck Harris