[time-nuts] New Trimble timing products

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Mon May 21 21:22:37 EDT 2007

Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Didier Juges wrote:
>
>> Sorry, it's not 15nS rms, it's 15nS at 1 sigma.
>>
>> Didier KO4BB
>>

> Didier
>
> Surely the standard deviation (1 sigma) and the rms values are identical?
> Specifying 1 sigma is perhaps intended to signify that the timing error
> is stochastic.
>
> Bruce

Bruce,

Not knowing how it is measured and the nature of the noise, I realized I
had *assumed* rms and 1 sigma to be the same, but in fact I was not sure.
The data sheet does say "at 1 sigma", so I wanted to be accurate and not
make assumptions, this is time-nuts after all :-)

Let's be honest, if I had not corrected myself, you would probably have
commented, and rightfully so, that the data sheet actually said "at 1
sigma" :-)

I am trying to learn, I am just a little slow...

Didier