[time-nuts] Pendulums & Atomic Clocks & Gravity

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Sat May 26 16:02:45 EDT 2007

Brooke Clarke wrote:

> Gravity also effects atomic clocks, see: http://www.leapsecond.com/great2005/
> and this puts a limit on what can be done with any atomic clock that's on
> Earth.  "g" will always have minor fluctuations (noise) due to all sorts of
> things like the Sun, Moon, planets, asteroids, earthquakes, etc.  It's still a
> direct "g" effect called red shift like (U2 − U1)/c2, where the Us are
> gravitational potentials, only smaller by c squared.

If all of the above affects the gravitational action on the surface of the Earth,
then how is the statement, below, true ?

> I expect that in not too many years the official master clocks will no longer
> be on Earth, but instead in satellites.  There "g" is precisely known to be
> zero.  Since GPS satellites are excellent for time transfer that's where they
> will be.  The ensemble will be the full constellation.

It would seem that the satellite, which is just an arms throw from the surface,
would have the same affects acting upon it, albeit perhaps in modified ways.  I
would think the satellite would have to be placed at the center of the SUN to have
all of the effects (within our solar system) reduced to the smallest amount.

Can anyone elaborate on this ?  Thanks,

Bill......WB6BNQ