[time-nuts] Pendulums & Atomic Clocks & Gravity

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sat May 26 17:55:30 EDT 2007

At 01:17 PM 5/26/2007, Brooke Clarke wrote...
>Just starting to adjust the bob on a pendulum clock... Tom has pointed
>out that the stability limit on pendulum clocks is in the area of 1E-7
>because of the complex effect of the Sun and Moon on the value of "g".

I'd think it would be significantly less than that for real clocks due
to fluctuations in air density caused by barometric pressure (affects
friction unless in a vacuum) and in pendulum length due to temperature
variation (the linear coefficient of thermal expansion is in the
1.5e-5/degree C range for most metals, and 5e-6 for wood).