[time-nuts] Pendulums & Atomic Clocks & Garvity

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Wed May 30 02:53:43 EDT 2007

David,

at German universities this an typical question for physics students in
their written exam after their first year of study. If an body if moved
by an force F along the differential distance ds then the work dw = F *
ds is necessary to do that and is stored as kinetic or potential energy
of the body where both F and ds are vectors and "*" denotes the scalar
product of them. In the case of an circular motion F and ds are
orthogonal to each other and the scalar product is 0 along the whole
line of motion. Result: No work is used or necessary to keep the
satellite on its orbit and so no additional energy ist stored in the
satellite. Pretty much the same applies to your charged particle
example.

Regards
Ulrich Bangert