[time-nuts] 53131A or 5370B

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Nov 9 15:48:19 EST 2007

I've heard this recommendation before, but I'll admit I'm not sure I
understand it.  My 5370B has no problem reading frequencies out to 1E-10 at
1-second gate times.  10 digits/second, just like the 53131A.  Sure, the two
LSDs (1E-11 and 1E-12 at 10 MHz) are effectively tied to a random-number
function, but if it bothered me that much I'd put a piece of electrical tape
over that part of the display.

I've seen JohnA's page at
http://www.febo.com/time-freq/hardware/5370B/index.html but am not sure how
to reproduce the graph at the bottom that shows random noise at the +/- 1E-9
level.  That's at least 10x worse than what I observe on the display,
counting a 10 MHz signal at 1 second gate time.

An automated application with the 5370B can (and should) use its "computer
dump" mode to move the processing to the host PC, so I don't see the 5370B's
slow CPU as a real drawback.  I haven't used a 53131A before.  What,
specifically, is better about it?

-- john, KE5FX