[time-nuts] Cell Phone time ?

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Nov 25 19:34:34 EST 2007

I doubt it's possible to make any general statements about the accuracy of
the time display on a phone.  It updates whenever the firmware gets the
proverbial round-tuit time slice.

My old phone, a Motorola flip-phone variant of some kind, was always dead-on
versus the Thunderbolt on Qwest's Seattle-area CDMA network.  But it had
nothing to do but sit there and mark time.  My current phone is an iPhone on
the AT&T GSM/EDGE network, and it seems to lag about 7 seconds behind UTC as
reported by the Datum 9390.  That puts it 21 seconds behind GPS time as
reported by the Thunderbolt.

It doesn't appear to make a difference whether it's connected or not.

-- john, KE5FX