[time-nuts] OT: Prologix GPIB and HP3478A...

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Wed Nov 28 06:06:49 EST 2007

John Miles wrote:
> Did you try sending ++auto 0 before powering up the 3478A?

Yes.  It does not prevent the lockup (lockout?)

As I said in an earlier post, the 3478A is not giving any indication
that it is addressed, or connected to the bus at all.  It *always* does
when the HP85B is connected as the controller.

> This setting is persistent, so you should only have to do it once to keep
> the board from automatically addressing the 3478A to talk.
>
> Also try disconnecting any/all other RS-232 devices from your PC during
> initial testing, and/or try a different USB port.

The port is the only one the laptop has, and it works just fine.  The
laptop is running kermit under linux, so it is a very basic connection.

The problem is clearly entirely within my Prologix.  I cannot yet say
whether it is a bug in the firmware, a circuit failure, or a design flaw.

The 3478A, and the cables used work just fine with an HP85B.

-Chuck Harris