[time-nuts] from Sputnik to CD

Jeffrey Pawlan jpawlan at pawlan.com
Sat Oct 6 12:10:18 EDT 2007

You are not off base. I know the inventor of the high definition CD standard and
he has the patents on the mastering system. He had made for his company a
special piece of test equipment to measure picosecond jitter. I questioned
whether the ear could hear jitter that fine but he insisted it was the key to
good A/D and D/A. Those were also custom made for them and in use are mounted on
a precision temperature controlled base because their accuracy is really good at
only one temperature. The actual frequency was not critical hence a double oven
crystal was not necessary.

Regards,

Jeffrey Pawlan