[time-nuts] from Sputnik to CD

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Mon Oct 8 17:39:39 EDT 2007

Bruce,

You have been more precise than this in other posts. Can you put
some numbers behind the sigma delta DAC's sensitivity to jitter?

Twenty years ago, the process control community got all jittery
about the jitter in the execution period of function blocks. The
fears have disappeared into the pages of history, because the
final control element was so much slower than the jitter.

Any time that someone is uncertain about the effect of some
measurable quantity (or not, think of N-rays) then they become
prey to anyone with the voice of power who claims a certain
effect with great certainty. For example, fundamentalist preachers
and certain audiophiles. This is human nature, part of what enabled
a prehistoric leader to gather a group of true believers and lead
them into battle.

But I really like the Great Dane's reply.

Bill Hawkins