[time-nuts] Crystal Ageing

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Oct 9 20:20:13 EDT 2007

I was the person who posted the original comments.  My comments
were based on discussions with notable crystal guru, Jack Kusters,
who was merely an inventor of the SC cut.  He didn't have much
confidence in the various FCS papers Jeffrey was referring to.
Basically, he was aware of all those effects and if there were
any consistency to the proposed treatments, the HP crystal fab
would have been doing them.  For instance, the idea that, if
only you polish the crystal well enough, it won't age has been
debunked.  Some people currently making high quality crystals
learned much of what they are doing from Jack in the first place.
If any of them go beyond what Jack taught them, they might
publish at FCS.  Or they might not and keep it as a trade secret.

Rick Karlquist

(these are my personal opinions, and do not represent the official
position of Jack or HP.).