[time-nuts] Improving the stability of crystal oscillators

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Wed Oct 10 13:52:26 EDT 2007

Hi Tom:

That's a cleaver improvement to a non ovenized crystal.  Usually crystals are
ground to have a temp vs freq turnover point occur at a specified temperature.
  The common one is to be on frequency at room temperature.  So if a room
temperature crystal is heated it's no longer operating at the turnover
temperature and so there is a steep delta frequency vs. temperature slope.  Did
  you get a crystal cut for your heater temperature or somehow match the
heaters temperature to a turnover point on your crystal?

I spent many many hours adjusting the oven temperature of a Gibbs frequency
standard to get it right on the turnover point.

Since the improvement in frequency stability depends on minimizing the
temperature excursions it's good to have as much gain as possible in the heater
feedback circuitry.  This was done for the HP E1938 10 MHz oscillator, see:
http://www.prc68.com/I/HPE1938.shtml
and the paper: The Theory Of Zero Gradient Crystal Ovens, R.K. Karlquist, L.S.
Cutler, E.M. Ingman, J.L. Johnson, T. Parisek

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE
http://www.PRC68.com
http://www.precisionclock.com