[time-nuts] Improving the stability of crystal oscillators

Bill Powell bpowell at intrex.net
Sat Oct 13 20:23:35 EDT 2007

I doug up and included below a time-nuts email from a couple of years
ago on improving oscillator stability, with some thoughts from Jack
Kusters, Tom Clark, and Brooke Clarke.

Also, there's a good history of high precision oscillators at:

http://www.ieee-uffc.org/fc_history/norton.html

Regards,
Bill Powell
af4jg

FROM:
    <jim_johnson at agilent.com>
<newmsg.cgi?mbx=Main&to=jim_johnson at agilent.com> | Save Address
<javascript:document.SaveAddress.submit()>
DATE:           Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:20:14 -0700
TO:           <w3iwi at toad.net>, <time-nuts at febo.com> SUBJECT:
RE: [time-nuts] Xtal Oscillator Aging

Hi,

 I posed this question to Jack Kusters, now retired
from HP/Agilent.  He and Charles Adams commercialized
the SC-cut crystal for HP in the 10811A oscillator.  He
gave me permission to post his response on the reflector.

Jim Johnson
jim_johnson at agilent.com

Hi Jim,

In addition to everything Tom Clark said (I agree in general with his
explanation), there is another aging mechanism associated with
stress.  When the crystal blank is manufactured, it is sawn, lapped,
ground, etched, and otherwise abused.  All of this produces stress in
the blank. In addition, there are mounting stresses that arise because
of the way the blank is mounted on its header, surface stresses that
develop because the electrode material when evaporated and then
condensed on the surface shrinks as it cools.

All of these result in long-term aging as these stresses need to
equilibrate out.  In addition, there are other stress related mechanisms
that may result in either long- or short- term aging.  The quartz
material is anisotropic, the mounts, electrode material are isotropic.

So, lets assume that we've had the crystal at an elevated, constant
temperature.  Over a period of time, all stresses, material, mount,
electrode, cracks, etc. equilibrate to their lowest energy level and it
appears that aging has stopped.

Now, take it down in temperature.  The anisotropic quartz and the
isotropic mount and electrode, have different contraction rates, so the
overall system now has a new set of stresses.

Let the unit come to full equilibrium at the new, lower
temperature.  Now take it up in temperature to where it was before.  Now
we see a whole new set of aging and stress relief.  The only virtue is
that aging due to cracks and material stress from manufacturing
processes should be mostly gone, so the unit should come to equilibrium
much faster.

One further comment, glass sealed crystals are not necessarily the best
way to seal a crystal.  It takes heat from a source sufficiently
elevated in temperature to melt the glass.  This tends to cause
contaminents to migrate from the area being sealed to a cooler spot in
the package, usually the crystal.  Contaminents come from gasses from
the torch or from junk trapped in the glass.

The cleanest mount one can do is a cold-weld seal under proper conditions.
For example, the HP crystals were put into a vacuum furnace, heated to
300+ deg-C overnite at 10E-7 torr with the can stored next to the
crystal.  After reducing the temperature to about 80-84 deg-C, the
crystal was frequency plated to within several parts in 10E7.  After
that, the mount was placed in the can, the temperature raised up to
about 150 deg-C, stabilised in temperature and vacuum, then cold-welded.

Done properly, there is essentially no contamination inside the crystal
assembly, most of the other stresses are gone, and the typical HP SC-cut
would reach an aging rate of better than 1E-7 per day, within the first
5 days.

Best regards,
Jack Kusters