[time-nuts] Improving the stability of crystal oscillators

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Oct 15 22:12:07 EDT 2007

As far as I can tell, temperature curve plots for quartz typically
show both an upper and a lower turnover point (for example,
see the pages below). Since the upper is well above maximum
ambient, it makes sense that this point is used in O[ven]CXO.

The question is -- does anyone know if the lower turnover point
(LTP) is ever used? I ask because I heard that a quartz oscillator
might have slightly better short-term stability at the LTP compared
to the UTP. If so, this might argue for the extra trouble of using
TEC for cooling in some low-noise applications.

/tvb

http://www.ieee-uffc.org/freqcontrol/tutorials/vig3/vig3_files/slide0164.htm
http://www.ieee-uffc.org/freqcontrol/tutorials/vig3/vig3_files/slide0306.htm