[time-nuts] Digital Scopes - suggestions

swingbyte swingbyte at exemail.com.au
Wed Oct 24 06:18:23 EDT 2007

Hal Murray wrote:
> ); SAEximRunCond expanded to false
>

> I'm looking for a digital scope.  Is there some obvious model(s) that I
> should keep an eye out for?
>
> I don't >need< one, so I'm willing to wait and I'm flexible on parameters.
>
> Mostly what I'm looking for is:
>   reasonable (hobby) cost
>   standard digital stuff: bright picture from a single event
>   screen capture (GPIB or RS-232)
>
> I expect there is something in the 100 MHz range.  I probably don't want to
> pay for a GHz front end, but I might if I got a good deal.
>
> Quiet is good.
>
> Running Windows is a minus in my book.  (I'm not smart enough to keep a
> Windows box virus free.)
>
> Being able to see a 10 uSec pulse delayed by 1 sec would be good.

I bought an old hp1661CS logic analyzer on ebay for not a lot of money.
There's a 16500 model for $280 up at the moment.  These come with 2 x
1GS/s digital scopes as well as the logic analyzer function.  They're
not designed as scopes but they do a pretty good job.  The prices for
similar capability scopes are usually higher.
Good luck

Tim