[time-nuts] Is this off topic?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Sep 22 00:02:48 EDT 2007

> Subject: [time-nuts] Is this off topic?

Seems fine to me.  Thanks for the neat trip report.

> Does anyone care about how we got to where we are?

Yes.  My geekiness is not constrained to electronics.

> Hill, in MN, needed a time standard for his railroad, so trains could
> be scheduled on a track without running into each other. Telegraphy
> made it possible.

I assume they used the telegraph to synchronize local clocks.  How well did
that work?  What sort of tricks/techniques did they use?

The wiki page says 30 seconds a week for railroad pocket watches.

How long could the local clocks coast if the telegraph was out?  Does anybody
know anything about the overall error budget?