[time-nuts] FMT on October 13

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Mon Sep 24 21:40:01 EDT 2007

I guess it depends on signal to noise ratio. With reciprocal counters, you
only need one period to measure as acurately as you need, but to have good
acuracy, you need very good S/N, as there is no filtering possible.

For example, the HP 5370 can measure a single period of a signal with a
resolution of 20pS (excluding noise and trigger imperfections), so excluding
these errors, the HP 5370 could measure a single period of a ~3.5 MHz signal
with 7 x10-5 precision (if I have not goofed the calculations....) More
periods improve the resolution proportionately to the quare root. Accuracy
is another matter.

Didier KO4BB