[time-nuts] FMT on October 13

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Sep 26 06:57:14 EDT 2007

I just wanted to point out that with reciprocal counters, you can get
resolution much better than the 1Hz/s you would get with conventional
frequency counters, even though the actual accuracy of the measurement may
be way off.

The original question seemed to imply that with a short transmission time,
you could not guarantee a frequency accuracy of 1e-6 Hz, which you probably
can't anyhow, but the limit is not the resolution of the instrument or the
measurement method.

I do not know how far off calibration my HP 5370s are, but the 20pS
resolution is at best only usable under some circumstances that I have not
isolated yet, due to jitter.

When measuring a 3.5 MHz signal (@1dBm) from my HP 8657B through 1 meter of
good coax cable (with counter and generator phase locked to the Thunderbolt
GPSDO) in Frequency mode with a 1s gate time, the resolution is 1e-5Hz, with
about 1e-3Hz p-p variation. When measuring over 1 period with 10,000 periods
sample size, the resolution is only 1e-1Hz with a standard deviation of ~400
Hz (or about 0.1%). Of course, over the air, it will be much worse due to
noise, let alone propagation, fading and multipath.

Didier KO4BB