[time-nuts] Jupiter GPS Settings For Best Timing Performance

David Smith david at smithfamily.net.au
Thu Apr 10 07:05:28 EDT 2008

I've been working on the performance of my portable GPSDO (very similar
to G3RUH design) and have got down to a reasonable level.  Testing
against an HP3815A, it will remain within better than 1x10^-10 for
periods of 10-15 mins.

However, there are times when it seems to get a "hit" and it will then
move up to ± 5x10^-10 before settling down again.  The movement seems to
follow the time constant of the PLL loop filter, possibly indicating
that it's coming from the Jupiter GPS?

Reading the Jupiter doco (Zodiac GPS Receiver Family Designer's Guide),
there seem to be several Zodiac Binary messages that can be used to
alter the GPS's performance (e.g. Satellite Elevation Mask Control).  I
already have a processor talking to the GPS card and displaying
position, time, gridsquare, status etc.  It would be a simple matter to
have it tweak the parameters as required.

Regards,
David Smith