[time-nuts] Frequency reference

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Thu Apr 17 10:45:13 EDT 2008

David C. Partridge wrote:

>I'm looking for a frequency reference for my home lab.  Cost is an issue.
>
>I'm considering either a GPSDO such as the Trimble Thunderbolt if I can get
>one at a reasonable price, or possibly a rubidium source.

David, to be considered a true time nut, you will not ever be happy with
just one standard...

But joking apart, the Trimble thunderbolt is a very good place to
start.  It can be had for around £130 / $260 US recently from a chinese
vendor on eBay; with the addition of an antenna, free monitoring / set
up program (TboltMon), box and power supply, you then have a very
accurate 10 MHz (and 1 pps) standard that needs no further action to
calibrate.

Good luck!

Dan