[time-nuts] I want a good micro-controller

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Aug 13 01:57:34 EDT 2008

Jim Palfreyman wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Well I have a nice idea in my head for a lunar occultation timer. Basically
> it's a normal clock that accepts a push button click and records the UTC of
> the events. Multiple events can be recorded and displayed back. The time
> must be settable and could also accept an external 1 PPS for accurate time
> setting. It also needs to be portable and battery powered. When it does get
> 1 PPS time setting it could work out how good its oscillator is an adjust
> for it. etc. etc. and etc.
>
> I have lots of other ideas in my head too and it's about time I settled down
> and thoroughly learned a decent micro controller. I want to pick one, get
> the stuff I need and commit to it. I've had experience with Atmel AT90S2313
> but really want something with more memory, a decent number of io pins and
> I'd like to avoid assembler.
>
> It needs to drive a display of some form (standard LCD is fine but other
> options would be good) and since nearly all my references are based on 10MHz
> it would be nice if it could be clocked at that speed. I used to program the
> Acorn Achimedes and so ARM would be nice and since I'm a 20 year experienced
> C programmer (not C++) then that is what I'd like to program it in.
>
> Thoughts, ideas, comments would be appreciated!
>
> Oh and cheap!
>
> :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim

Jim

Is this intended for field use?
If so, one has to remember that it will not always be easy or practical
to set up a GPS receiver on site.
Provision for using the timer as an interpolation device to interpolate
between timestamps obtained before and after the event from a fixed
location reliable GPS receiver would greatly enhance its usefulness.
Sometimes its hard enough to setup and acquire the star or other object
of interest without having to worry about a GPS receiver as well.

Bruce

Bruce