[time-nuts] Importing into EEC

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Aug 15 04:49:19 EDT 2008

In message <63593424D48240B7ADB6FAED64ECD187 at MartynDesktop>, "Martyn Smith" wri
tes:

>Just wanted to remind everyone it's illegal to import any electronic devices
>into Europe without them having a CE mark.

That is not true.

It is illegal to *sell* things without CE marks to the unwashed
public, but you are allowed to import for personal use.

In addition there are a vast array of exemptions, including
professional test & measurement equipment.

Furthermore, anything constructed before the CE mark requirement came
into force in their local country are OK.

>I see there have been many projects like the Jackson Labs unit that have
>been imported into Europe.  This is illegal.

No, it is not, stop spreading FUD.

Poul-Henning