[time-nuts] I want a good micro-controller

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Mon Aug 18 15:05:36 EDT 2008

Bruce Raymond wrote:
> My actual contribution to the thread is a link to a free C compiler for
> PICs that works pretty well. I have been using the CCS compiler and
> switched to this one.
>
> www.sourceboost.com/
>
> Bruce Raymond/ND8I

Bruce,

I've been using the CCS C compiler for several years. The PIC has been
my main micro, with the help provided by the compiler, but I do
sometimes use other micros. At times CCS has driven me nuts with
assorted bugs from version to version, but I continue to use it.

The main reason I use this compiler is because it has functions that
support easy use of many of the features of the PIC. The main one, is
that you can define any two pins as a serial port, even ones without the
standard UART hardware. Other function support gives easy access for
things like timers, delays, interrupts, ADC, PWM, I2C and internal
EEPROM read write.

After a quick browse of the sourceboost pages, I couldn't figure out if
this type of thing is provided in the compiler package (even the top PRO
pay version). I'd be interested to hear comments from anyone about
support for these PIC features in various compilers. The same type of
information for other micro families and compilers welcomed too.

On the general micro discussion -- one thing I have noticed is that the
PICs seem to be more inclined to go berserk than (say) the 8051 types I
have used in the presence of electrical noise.

-Rex