[time-nuts] While we're discussing backups...

Robert Vassar rvassar at rob-vassar.com
Fri Aug 22 23:47:12 EDT 2008

Just a quick thought.  I saw at least one person mention RAID, and
another mention multiple copies of the same data.  A true backup copy
is off line.  RAID does not protect you from an accidental delete,
virus, etc... Multiple copies only spreads the risk around.

I backup to a USB hard disk.  I plug it in, backup, unplug it, de-
cable and park it in a filing cabinet.  The disk spends 99.99% of
it's life powered off.  It should last a decade or more like this,
but I buy a new disk to replace it every 5 years, regardless if it
needs it or not.  Really critical stuff goes on a CD-R, stored flat
in a jewel case, and goes in the safe deposit box.

Rob
KC6OOM/5