[time-nuts] Capacitive temperature sensing

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Aug 23 06:32:15 EDT 2008

Hej Bruce,

> Hej Magnus
>
> A capacitive sensing AC bridge can be very sensitive, one only has to
> look at the work of RV Jones at the university of Glasgow in the 50's,
> 60's and 70's. He and his collaborators used capacitive sensors to
> detect (among other things) the extrusion of a micrometer shaft as it
> was clamped to realise just how sensitive it can be.
> They found it possible to detect length changes of less than 1E-11m with
> a suitably designed sensor.

Indeed. However, I was trying to hint on a alternative approach or
temporary approach which would not need much design to achieve equal
performance if the electrodes could not be cleaned or replaced easilly.

I trust the capacitive measurement would be sufficiently good even at
moderate design efforts.

Cheers,
Magnus