[time-nuts] While we're discussing backups...

brooke at pacific.net brooke at pacific.net
Tue Aug 26 20:03:06 EDT 2008

Hi:

I haven't been reading my email for a few months while I'm out of the
country but happened on this one while doing something else.

This is a subject where I have years of practical experience. Key Point:
In my experience the only backup that you can trust is one where you use
it immediately!

For example a friend was using a RAID system for a number of years then
one day got a message saying there was a disk problem.  He spent $4000 to
have a recovery service reclaim the hard drive.

To accomplish the backup what's needed is to make a clone of the hard
drive, remove the current hard drive as the backup and continue to work
from the new hard drive.  A side benefit of this is that the new hard
drive will have a larger capacity and cost less than the prior drive.

This was easy to do on WIN98 but starting with WIN XP SP2 you can NOT have
two bootable operating systems on the disk drives so cloning (Norton
Ghost) requires a boot into DOS.  This is probably a Microsoft anti copy
"feature".

Brooke Clarke