[time-nuts] Thunderbolt self-survey results...

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 19:51:50 EDT 2008

As a microclimatologist I am very aware of the nocturnal inversions
that occur in the atmosphere.
 From ground level to say 1000 feet the air cools at night forming a
dense layer. The dielectric
properties of this condition must create apparent thickness beneath
the satellites.
Whereas there is a balanced triangulation of northing and easting in
determining lat and long
that will null any atmospheric length effects, there is no way of
determining the actual altitude
from the apparent altitude caused by extra dielectric layering of the
atmosphere and ionosphere.
So there is little surprise in variable height data.
What would be interesting is a correlation between apparent height
error and night minimum
temperature at ground level (air temperature 2 metres from the ground).
cheers, Neville Michie