[time-nuts] pps vs. 10 MHz timing

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Dec 12 02:54:46 UTC 2008

Matt

For those GPSDOs which also use the OCXO clock to generate the LO for
the GPS receiver (eg Thunderbolt) the zerocrossing transitions of the
10MHz output are accurately aligned to the leading edge of the 1PPS output.

For other GPSDOs there may be an offset between the 10MHz zero crossing
and the receiver 1 PPS output.

If the PPS output is derived from the OCXO via a divider then the
leading edge of the PPS output will be aligned (within a gate
propagation delay or 2) with the PPS output.

One can always use a dual phase synchroniser to detect the 1Hz
transition using the 10Mhz output.

Bruce