[time-nuts] pps vs. 10 MHz timing

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sat Dec 13 02:20:49 UTC 2008

Hi Magnus,

on our Fury system the phase relationship between the 1PPS (clean OCXO
version) and the 10MHz is established during power-on, then held stable (it is
generated by the same 10MHz crystal) unless it for some reason drifts more  than
+/-220ns away from UTC at which point it is reset to UTC, or until it is
changed by user-command.

We do also have the raw GPS 1PPS available (jumper selection option) which
is asynchronous to the 10MHz, and as you mentioned will drift since it is
generated by a separate crystal, and clocking system.

One could use two or three cascaded FF's two avoid the
setup/hold/metastability issues, then set the phase via software command so as  to compensate for
the FF-induced phase delays.

You are right, there are so many ways to cross that river :)

bye,
Said

In a message dated 12/12/2008 15:16:00 Pacific Standard Time,