[time-nuts] Close-in phase noise question...

Grant Hodgson grant at ghengineering.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 13:03:50 UTC 2008

Brian

Thanks for the details.

There are a number of problems with crystal filters.  A crystal filter
will have a finite bandwidth, and at offsets less than half the
bandwidth the filter won't have a significant effect on the phase noise.
  For example the 40MHz xtal filter used in the 8662A has a bandwidth of
6kHz (according to the service manual), so phase noise at less than 3kHz
offset will not be affected.

For your application you would need a filter with a very narrow
bandwidth indeed - maybe 50Hz or so.  Ignoring the manufacturing issues
of such a device, there could be problems with temperature sensitivity
and microphony.  These problems could of course be overcome, but I'm not
convinced that a crystal filter would give an overall benefit in this
application, given that the primary goal is to achieve leading-edge
close in phase noise.

The MSA1105 has better phase noise than I thought, but I'd still be
tempted to change one or both of the passive doubler/buffer stages to an
active doubler, if the figures for the NIST active doubler are correct.

regards

Grant