[time-nuts] Build my own dist. amp ??

Didier didier at cox.net
Thu Dec 18 05:41:12 UTC 2008

Brian,

Your original post asked for a reference distribution amplifier.

"Just wondering if anyone has ever tried the MAX2470/2471 VCO buffers as
part of a reference distribution design?"

Why would it need to cover more than one frequency?

Every piece of equipment in my lab that accepts an external reference will
accept 10 MHz. Some also accept 5, 2 and/or 1, but 10 is universal. I am
aware that some specific applications may require other frequencies, but in
most cases these will be between 1 and 10 MHz. For best performance (or
acceptable performance at low cost and low pain level), don't try to cover a
band wider than that, all you will get is increased noise and increased
susceptibility to leakage.

Certainly 10 to 500 MHz seems excessive for most reference distribution
designs. If you have a different application in mind, please tell us.

Didier KO4BB