[time-nuts] Build my own dist. amp ??

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Dec 19 04:35:32 UTC 2008

BriMDavis at aol.com wrote:
> Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>
>> That is a very effective way of elevating the phase noise floor.
>> Its usually far better to amplify the input and then split the output
>> maintaining a gain to the splitter outputs of at least 0dB.
>>

> As I already explained the last time you mentioned this,
> I am well aware of noise floor limitations when operating
> an LO or clock at reduced signal levels.

Have you actually estimated the resultant phase noise floor with 0dBm
output??
An optimistic estimate can be done using the noise figure at the
frequency of interest.

>  It is nice to keep the drive levels as high as possible;
> however, as long as the overall system noise floor is not
> impacted, it really doesn't matter if the reference level
> drops somewhere along the way.

When is a noise penalty of around 30dB (for the better sources) not
significant?

>>> Some data sheets contain this information at spot frequencies;
>>> this one does not.
>>>

>> Very few datasheets from Maxim specify much about the noise
>> characteristics of such devices.
>>

> Perhaps we are suffering from a language barrier here.
>
>  When I look at all 21 devices in their "VCOs/VCO Buffers"
> parts category, the only ones _without_ noise specs are the
> very parts about which I am asking, the MAX274x family.

Very little useful phase noise data is given (for a distribution
amplifier application), particularly for low offset frequencies.
For example MAX9989 only gives a spot phase noise at 100MHz output for a
1500MHz input.

I was also referring to the lack of low frequency noise data for devices
like the MAX477.
Maxim aren't alone in this.
> Brian

Bruce