[time-nuts] New topics (was Re: He is a Time-Nut Troublemaker....)

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Dec 23 17:05:31 UTC 2008

Surely, you don't have a problem with a precision trombone line for 10 MHz, do you?
You could use a water dielectric and slow the waves WAY down so it's of practical length (if not impractical in other ways)

But more seriously.. How accurate and stable does the phase shift have to be?  There are some little 10MHz phase shifters down in one of our labs that are (guessing) some sort of transformer inside.  They're about the size of the Helipot style 10 turns (i.e. a couple inches in diameter and a couple or three inches long, with a 1/4" shaft to adjust phase. (I'll go down and see if I can find one and the mfr & part #.. They're probably not made any more, though)

A more classic approach is to take a 2x or 4x frequency and run it into a suitable divider/decoder to generate quadrature.

Once you have quadrature, you then need some way to combine the two with varying amplitudes.. Sine/cosine pots, etc  Or some MDACs driven by a lookup table.  (the commercial phase shifters use a 90degree hybrid and some sort of variable gain thing.. PIN diodes, mixers, what-have-you)

Some form of goniometer springs to mind as a way to do it.  The stability of couplings, etc., are going to be determined by mechanical tolerances, and clever design might make it fairly temperature immune.  Vacuum capacitors are quite stable with aging (since the dielectric doesn't change)

James Lux, P.E.
Task Manager, SOMD Software Defined Radios
Flight Communications Systems Section
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop 161-213
Pasadena, CA, 91109