[time-nuts] hello and first questions

Trevor Higgins doublebackslash at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 13:12:38 UTC 2008

Hello!
Just a couple of backslashes probing the world of insanely accurate time.

My first question, which will doubtlessly lead to many more, is where
can I find some information on the circuitry to derive the difference
between two PPS signals and read it in some sort of digital format.
I'd also be interested in finding some information on deriving PPS
signals from a raw 10Mhz signal, since it seems that rubidium frequency
standards are a fair bit cheaper than 1PPS standards.
I hope to build my first GPS disciplined atomic standard within a few
months, learning all sorts of things along the way. Sorry if I'm already
asking some questions that have obvious answers, but i wanted to start
on the best possible information out there, and anyone on this list
probably has the best advice that I could ask for.

I've got a lot of raw potential, and have been feeding my interest in
timekeeping with a ton of random information for a long time, and it is
time to do something with it.
Glad to be part of a group that might understand how fascinating this
all is to me.

Obsessed with all things precise and accurate,
\\