[time-nuts] WWVB Outages?

Greg Burnett gbusg at comcast.net
Fri Dec 26 19:50:19 UTC 2008

Have any of you noticed intermittent WWVB outages lately?

I've been having that problem, every once in a while, the past month or
more. For example, here in Colorado Springs, the 60 kHz signal disappeared
sometime this morning before 11:42AM MST, and returned at 12:28PM MST. When
this happens it kills my routine plot of my GPS-disciplined house standard
against WWVB (that I use for in-house cross-checking / confidence purposes).

I'm using a Kinemetrics Model 60TF WWVB Frequency Comparator / Receiver,
that requires a continuous WWVB signal. (This is unlike the consumer "Atomic
Clocks" that the public use; those kinds of WWVB-locked clocks do *not*
require a continuous on-air signal, but rather "flywheel" in between
scheduled locks a few times per day, as I understand it?)

Cheers,
Greg