[time-nuts] GPS and PLL's...

Bales, Tracy Tracy.Bales at Williams.com
Sat Dec 27 23:58:06 UTC 2008

I just started receiving the Time-Nuts emails...I admit that I've got a
lot of learning ahead of me.

I've got a Trimble GPS module that outputs a 10 uSec wide pulse every
second.  Now this is where I need some education...

How would you use the 1 PPS output to steer a phase locked loop running
at 10MHZ?  Are you dividing the 10MHZ clock by 10 million?

If you are dividing by 10 million, wouldn't it take forever for the PLL
to lock?

See, I gave everyone warning about my learning curve!!!  Thanks...